Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Okay ... well, this post may not quite follow the intent of this blog (... reflections on a journey of creativity, blah, blah, blah ...), but as with any blog, your going to get the occasional rant or "WTF?!?!" post. So here it is ...
I was on the train coming home tonight ... okay, first some back story. I'm one of those nut-jobs that takes public-transit to and from work - from Hamilton to Toronto - everyday (well for the majority of the way). I drive 15 minutes to the train station at Aldershot and then I catch one train, one subway and one bus (... cue the George Thorogood ...) right to the front drive of my school - everyday (... it's actually kinda sweet ...).
Tonight, coming home, there was a switch problem which delayed all the west-bound trains for around 50 minutes. Now, I'm sitting in the train and I'm surrounded by people griping, complaining, making snide comments about the train service to people on the phone, and I'm thinking to myself, "you gotta be kidding." I've been in worse traffic jams than this when I used to drive the way into and out of Toronto (for over 12 years). I've sat in traffic for over 4 hours during snow storms .. but now that I'm taking public transit ... someone else gets to do the driving.
So we were stuck for a while ... so what? If my legs got tired, I could get up and walk around, or I could read a book, or eat a snack, or do a crossword puzzle, or talk on the phone, or even take a nap ... and I would still get to where I was going.
I just didn't get what all the vitriol was about. I was still going to get home, and I would not be homicidal because of a stressful drive home. Why didn't anyone else see it? So I had to spend my time listening to others stressing out over something that was completely out of their, or the train company's control. I just didn't get it.
Oh well ... just another day at the rat-race. But I gotta tell ya' ... I'm one tired rat. Some days, I just want to get off this running-wheel and start to live my life the way I truly want. I'm going to be 44 this year ... and I can't wait to retire ... how sad is that?
Oh well, I think I'm going to go to bed ... maybe the race will look better tomorrow.
Sam.
-a tired rat.